About your instructor
Steve McConnell is CEO and Chief Software Engineer at Construx Software where he consults to a broad range of industries, teaches seminars, and oversees Construx’s software development practices. Readers of Software Development magazine named Steve one of the three most influential people in the software industry along with Bill Gates and Linus Torvalds.
Steve is the author of Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art (2006), Code Complete (1993, 2004), Rapid Development (1996), Software Project Survival Guide (1998), andProfessional Software Development (2004). His books twice won Software Development magazine’s Jolt Excellence award for outstanding software development book of the year.
Steve has served as Editor in Chief of IEEE Software magazine, on the Panel of Experts of the SWEBOK project, and as Chair of the IEEE Computer Society’s Professional Practices Committee.
Steve received a Bachelor’s degree from Whitman College, graduating Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, and earned a Master’s degree in software engineering from Seattle University.
Code Complete Essentials
Learn dozens of proven tips, techniques, and principles to produce clean, industrial strength code. Capturing the body of knowledge available from research, academia, and everyday commercial practice, this class synthesizes the most effective techniques and must-know principles into clear, pragmatic guidance.
Duration: 6h 22m
Learn many useful rules of thumb and procedures for creating software estimates (“the art of estimation”) and briefly introduces mathematical approaches to creating software project estimates (“the science of estimation”).
Duration: 7h 14m
Understanding Software Projects
Learn from software development guru Steve McConnell in a series of lectures on understanding software projects. McConnell explains The Four Factors Lifecycle Model and how understanding that model means understanding virtually every significant aspect of software project dynamics.
Duration: 5h 05m
More about Steve
- Dogs – Steve’s golden retriever, Cavell, is a service-dog drop out, who was actually raised by Construx Senior Fellow Earl Beede
- Motorcycling – Steve rides a Harley Softail and enjoys road trips around the Pacific Northwest
- Home Theater – Steve gets a lot of satisfaction out of home improvement projects. Check out his jaw dropping home theater!
- Car Wax – Steve gets an inordinate amount of satisfaction from car detailing. He enjoys all aspects of detailing, but he especially enjoys car wax. Rumor has it he has even made his own brand of wax!
- Community Service – Steve is a board member in his Rotary club and also serves on his local school board.
Steve on his Harley